Carolyn R. Parsons



Yesterday was my first sugar-free day. It was difficult and I did find myself craving for sugar at the end of the day. I had a helping of the Honey Baked Lentils to get me through then drank water. I was grateful to fall into bed, the first day a success. One day at a time is how I plan on taking this.

I've been looking into fasting. I'm not sure if it's beneficial as all the proponents of the practice say or if it's unhealthy. I don't feel the least bit inclined to purchase a "cleanse" package but there is something about a 24 hour juice fast that appeals to me. Also, a sunrise to sunset fast has a certain appeal as well. I have to do more research into whether the benefits outweigh the risks of such practice although it has been done to some degree since the dawn of time, but is there really a benefit to depriving oneself purposefully of solid healthy food? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Meanwhile I want to share a recipe with you. This is a simple recipe that I found in the Foodland Ontario recipe book at our local grocery store. They have other recipes there as well.


Veggie and Asparagus Salad

Dressing: 1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup finely chopped cucumber
1tbsp chili sauce(I used my sister in laws homemade..yummy)
1tsp finely chopped onion
1/4 tsp each of dried oregano, salt and pepper(original recipe also called for 1/4 tsp sugar, I have made it both ways, don't need it)
1 clove garlic mixed

Combine all ingredients and set aside. (I think this would be fine with silken tofu for the vegans).

Salad: 3 cups lettuce(I used green leaf and red leaf, Boston is good too)
8 oz asparagus grilled and cut into bite sized pieces
1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
1-2 tomatoes, cut in wedges
half each red and orange sweet peppers slivered.

Grill Asparagus...toss with a little extra virgin olive oil, season with salt and pepper(I use steak spice) and grill about 5 minutes until tender-crisp. You can also broil on a baking sheet in the oven for about 4 minutes. Cut in pieces.

Toss with dressing.

This makes too much for me so I just use what I need. Everything keeps nicely(untossed) in the refridgerator.

Enjoy!

Affirmation: I do not need refined sugar in my diet and although I may eat it whenever I want I choose not to today.
Namaste`

Labels: , ,
Bookmark and Share
| edit post
2 Responses
  1. Lluvia Says:

    Cool recipe. I would try it if I liked to cook as much as I enjoy doing other thing. I like your word choices. Lluvia


  2. Nancy Says:

    I'm going to use your affirmation. Sugar is an issue for me, but becoming less and less of one. The recipes look yummy. Thanks.